St Mary History

Home  /  St Mary History
1837Michigan becomes a state
1845Mass is held in the home of Patrick Pendergast. Fr. Andreas Viszosky would travel by horseback to see to the sacramental needs of the several Irish immagrant farmers living in the area,
1847Wright becomes a Township, seperating itself from Tallmadge Township. Samual Wright was the oldest man at the meeting, so they named the townsip after him.
1852Approximately two acres of land was purchased by Bishop Peter Lafavre, the bishop of the Diocese of Detroit, from James Lee and his wife, The church of St Mary was built and the first Mass was said by a Belgian priest, Fr, Van Paemel, who was the Pastor at St. Andrews. St. Mary was a mision church of St. Andrews in Grand Rapids.This church building was located about 200-300 yards west of 24th Ave on the north side of Garfield. This was the first Catholic Church in Ottawa county.
1853Fr. De Ceunick brings the sacraments to St Mary’s until he is replaced that year by Fr. Edward Van Paemel as Pastor of St. Andrews.
1858Grand Trunk Railroad completed it’s line from Detroit to Grand Haven which passed near Berlin (Marne).
1868Land where the present church is located is purchaed for the sum of $2000. Construction begins on a new and larger church building. The total cost of the new church, including the adjoining priests residence, was $5,500.
1872On Easter Sunday 1872 the new church was dedicated by Bishop Casimir Borgess of Detroit. St. Mary’s becomes a mission church of St. Patrick’s in Grand Haven, being served by Fr. Timothy J. Murphy.
1879Fr. Timothy J. Murphy moves his residence from Grand Haven to St. Mary’s.
1880Fr. E.M. Limpens, pastor of St. James, Grand Rapids, consecrates St. Mary’s cemetary.
1880Fr. Michael Dalton is appointed pastor of St. Mary’s.
1882The Roman Catholic Diocese of Grand Rapids was officially established on May 19, 1882, by Pope Leo XIII. It was created from territory that had previously belonged to the Diocese of Detroit. Its first bishop was Henry Joseph Richter, who was appointed in January 1883 and installed later that year. When he became bishop, the new diocese had:
33 churches, 36 priests, 17 schools, about 50,000 Catholics.
1884Pastoral residence for the parish was again moved to St. Patrick’s, Grand Haven.
1888Fr, Dalton is succeeded by Fr. Edward A. Caldwell.
1891Fr. Thomas J. O’Connor is appointed pastor of St. Patricks, Grand Haven.
1897New tower and bell are added to the church.
1898The church building burns to the ground on Sunday, February 13.
1898The rebuilt church is dedicated by Bishop Richter on September 7. 1898.
1899Another new tower and bell are added to the new church.
1899Fr. Paul Henry Maus is installed as pastor of St Patrick’s, Grand Haven. Over the next 5 years, new altars are purchased, new statues set in place, the church was painted and carpeted.
1909A new rectory is completed.
1911Fr. Danel J. Hyland is installed as pastor of St. Patricks, Grand Haven.
1923Fr. Timothy J. O’Connell is installed as the first resident pastor of St. Mary’s. (until now, St. Mary’s has been a mission church of St. Patricks in Grand Haven. Their pastor was our pastor.)
1933Fr. John McDolald is installed as pastor.
1936Fr. Raymond Sweeney is installed as pastor.
1938Fr. Charles Nugent is installed as pastor.
1940Fr. Joseph Drew is installed as pastor.
1956Msgr. Thomas Bolger is installed as pastor.
1962Fr. Gordon Grant is installed as pastor.
1968Marble statue of the Blessed Virgin is installed at the cemetary.
1969St. Mary’s builds a new Catechetical and Parish Social Center.
1971Msgr. Walter Grill is installed as pastor.
1971A Saturday evening vigil mass was addedto the weekend schedule at 7:30. The Mass also took on a new look, with the placement of the altar in the middle of the sanctuary and Mass being offered facing the people.
1973A permanent altar was installed next to the Blessed Virgin statue at the cemetary shrine.
1974A crucifix and a statue of the Risen Christ was added to the cemetary shrine.
1979Fr. Kenneth A. Wing is installed as pastor.
1979A storm topples the steeple off of the church. Mass begins being held in the Parish center.
1981Msgr. Terrence L. Stewart is installed as pastor.
1982Old church is demolished and construction of a new church begins.
1983The present St Mary’s church is dedicated by Bishop Breitenbeck.
1998A new pipe organ is installed in the church.
2002Fr. William Zink is installed as pastor.
2009-2010Major Renovations and Improvements at the St Mary Parish Hall
2012Saint Michael-Coopersville clusters with Saint Mary’s, Marne. Fr. David Gross is installed as Pastor of both parishes.
2014Fr Anton Tran is installed as Pastor of both parishes
2015New Corpus/Crucifix is displayed in the main sanctuary
2016Fr Ayub Francis Nasar is installed as Pastor of both parishes
2017Stations of the Cross refurbished and displayed in the main sanctuary
2022Fr Michael Hodges is installed Pastor of both parishes.
2026May 1, 2026 The Most Reverend David J. Walkowiak, Bishop of Grand Rapids, Michigan signs a decree stating the official merger of St Mary & St Michael to become one New Parish- St Mark the Evangelist. (with the primary church of Str Mary and the secondary church of St Michael)